In an attempt to introduce some new great bands to you besides sharing the fine tunes they're releasing, I'm attempting to set up an ongoing series of Q&A's with several of these bands. Just a little extra info on who the people behind the music are (please forgive me my poor interviewing-skills). First off is Australian's best kept secret Cub Scouts. They've been spotted a few times on the blog already with 3 great songs and have just released their latest song "Pool!". Lead singer Tim Nelson has provided the answers; have a read, give it a spin, enjoy a great Summer feeling!
- first off, who are the Cub Scouts? We're an Australian indie/pop band
- How did you meet? Sam, Zoe, Andy and I all went to the same school and we met Dan through other school friends!
- when/how did you decide to team up and start making music together? I'd been writing songs for a little while, then when I got offered a show, I wanted a band to play with. I contacted people that I knew could play instruments to see if they'd play that one show with me. We ended up keeping on playing together and eventually we formed 'Cub Scouts'
- What is an average week for Cub Scouts? We all have jobs, so an average week is working most days of the week. We have band practice on Monday nights and we often spend weekend away playing shows.
- what do you enjoy most: recording new songs in the studio or playing live shows? We find both equally great.
- Over the last year you've released several singles and an EP. Now that 2012 is over, how do you look back on it? It was a pretty crazy year - we achieved so much more than we had even imagined we could.
- What was the highlight of the year? Embarking on five national tours and releasing our debut EP!
- What are the plans for 2013? More touring, including overseas tours, and recording/releasing new music!
Thank you Tim and Cub Scouts. Looking forward to more new tunes and hopefully a European Tour somewhere this year!
Wednesday is the longest day of the week, right between 2 weekends it's killing in the morning, but a little fantastic when it's over: we're halfway there! Wednesday is perfect for long, dark ambient rock tracks like this one from Henryspenncer. Released over a year ago, but still epic as fuck! Don't miss the rest of the album, check bandcamp.
One of the finest songs of 2013 so far is "Scarecrow", the new single by Bridie Jackson & The Arbour. Last week they've released a video to go with the tune. Worth watching, and (for me) another excuse to write a little something on this breathtaking and highly addictive song!
In a few hours Old English will officially release their debut album Prose & Kahns. They’ve been so kind to send me a copy a few weeks ago and I’ve been loving it a little more each day. With the release date so close we can almost touch it, I figured it’s time to stop keeping it for myself & share this beautiful album with you. Turn off the lights, put your arms around a pretty lady or soft pillow, have some tea. Enjoy a great album.
Dreamy folk songs such as “Older Things” are great songs that’ll stick in your head and refuse to get out. the songs vaguely sound like several other great bands, but at the same time it’s like nothing you’ve ever heard before. It’s familiar and unique at the same time, a rare combination. It’s very tempting to name a few famous bands that this album reminds me of, but I’ve decided long ago I don’t want to compare bands or albums with each other, I prefer to judge any album as the way it comes. and an album like Prose & Kahns can do without referrals, it is just fine the way it is.
Prose & Kahns sounds like the album I hoped Old English would release when I 1st heard their debut(?) single “We’ve been here before” back in November. They rock a little, they dream a little, they dance a little, they do a lot of things and all of these combined form a great record. Nothing more, nothing less. Prose & Kahns is a beautiful debut album and I sincerely hope they come up with a lot more! I’m a fan, and I think you will be too. There’s no reason not to be..
All of the music files featured on this site are for sampling purposes only. If you like any of the songs, please support the artist and buy the music.
If you are the legal owner of a music file or picture featured on this site and would like this removed, please contact me @ jeroen[at]pluginbaby.nl and it will be removed as soon as possible.
Going strong for 50 months now and with almost 1100 written items please keep in mind sources to music files may have been replaced or removed by the owner of the work. I am aware that not all items still include a working link, it is what it is.